Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren delivered a speech to the Netroots Nation, which is a gathering for progressive bloggers and activists. In her speech, the crony captialist outlined her “11 Commandments Of Progressivism”, because apparently she thought she can do one better than God.
-“We believe that Wall Street needs stronger rules and tougher enforcement, and we’re willing to fight for it.”
- “We believe in science, and that means that we have a responsibility to protect this Earth.”
- “We believe that the Internet shouldn’t be rigged to benefit big corporations, and that means real net neutrality.”
- “We believe that no one should work full-time and still live in poverty, and that means raising the minimum wage.”
- “We believe that fast-food workers deserve a livable wage, and that means that when they take to the picket line, we are proud to fight alongside them.”
- “We believe that students are entitled to get an education without being crushed by debt.”
- “We believe that after a lifetime of work, people are entitled to retire with dignity, and that means protecting Social Security, Medicare, and pensions.”
- “We believe—I can’t believe I have to say this in 2014—we believe in equal pay for equal work.”
- “We believe that equal means equal, and that’s true in marriage, it’s true in the workplace, it’s true in all of America.”
- “We believe that immigration has made this country strong and vibrant, and that means reform.”
- “And we believe that corporations are not people, that women have a right to their bodies. We will overturn Hobby Lobby and we will fight for it. We will fight for it!
Lots of things about equality and government doing things for people, but nothing about freedom and responsibility. What these are a bunch of easily refuted talking points and ultimately, a declaration of dependence. Just give the government more control over your life and it will give you things.
What we on the center-right need to do is develop our own alternative version to this. We need to remind people that free markets are what create prosperity. We need to stop the left from falsely calling themselves the “party of science” and expose their quackery on GMOs, nuclear power, and vaccinations in addition to their alarmism on climate change. We need to address the real problem of student loan debt with free market solutions such as allowing student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy and allowing banks to include a student’s major in assessing risk. We also need to remind the American people that Social Security is need of reform or it won’t be there for future generations. Finally, we need to promote a culture of responsibility and push back against the mentality of “my body, my choice, your wallet”.
We cannot allow the left to define the narrative any longer. We must push back with our message of freedom, hope, and prosperity. More importantly, we need to develop real world solutions to the problems facing the American people and we need to communicate it effectively.
We need to quit allowing the left to put us in a position where we can be defined. In other words, people on the center-right need to stop saying stupid things (looking at you Todd Akin and Chris McDaniel).
I’m glad Elizabeth Warren has laid out the battlelines and now it is up to us be up for the challenge and crush her and the left’s statist agenda.